[swift-evolution] [Pitch] #warning

Leonardo Pessoa me at lmpessoa.com
Tue May 31 11:31:33 CDT 2016

In your alternatives considered, you mention "not all TODO or FIXME
comments should surface" but I think the opposite: if I want these
types of comments to be seen as warnings by the compiler I cannot
choose which will surface and which not. It would be the same as
saying "hey, but I don't want all #warnings to surface or I may have a
lot in my list" too. Most programming languages work with these "tags"
(should we call them that?) in comments and offer to show you where
these are when you want to see them. Perhaps that's what you're saying
not all of them should surface but if you meant other things that
should be tagged like this and not surface, you should consider using
a different tag that will not surface.

Furthermore, I believe these tags are merely informational and should
not be the reason for using #warnings. Perhaps a comment analysis
pointing out where in your project you have tagged comments should
suffice. That would also solve the issue of misspelling the tag as
FIXME and FIXEM would both show in. And if you don't want to care
about FIXME tags at a certain time you could tell the IDE to skip them
and FIXEM will surface making you realise you misspelled it.