[swift-evolution] [Draft] Automatically deriving Equatable and Hashable for certain value types

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Mon May 30 15:45:09 CDT 2016

What about declaring the requirements for auto-conformance in a sub-protocol?
@auto protocol AutoEquatable : Equatable {
    //"syntax" for how to conform to Equatable
}

struct Foo : AutoEquatable {} //the compiler automatically synthesizes everything
struct Bar : Equatable {} //you manually conform

It would be a compiler error to conform to an `@auto` protocol if the compiler couldn't apply the provided "syntax" to the conforming type.

(I have no clue what this "syntax" could be, other than some expansion of generics and/or a macro system)

Anyway, does that help? It satisfies both the "explicit conformance" crowd and the "no new keywords" (at least at the "call" site) crowd.

- Dave Sweeris