[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Shorthand Argument Renaming

Frédéric Blondiau frederic.blondiau at douwere.com
Mon May 30 15:19:24 CDT 2016

Thanks for your feedback.

I personally never found that this “$n” convention was “Swift-like”... but it’s true that a “$n” is easier to spot than a “.n”, and I got used to also.

However, I realised how much this was disturbing for newcomers, when explaining closure shorthand argument names to a classroom of computer science students (aged 21) discovering Swift.

The feedback some gave me, during the course, was quite surprisingly strong and negative about this “$n” convention. This convinced me to write this proposal : for newcomers, the “$n” zero-based is something wrong.

I understand that association between tuples and function parameters in Swift is to be removed, but, in this case, as we have no parameters at all, I thought this was a distinct enough situation.

As suggested, considering this is a kind of compiler magic, using #0, #1 instead, may indeed be a better alternative.

I’m still waiting some feedback before writing an official proposal.