[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Returned for revision] SE-0089: Renaming String.init<T>(_: T)

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Sun May 29 23:39:13 CDT 2016

Thanks Chris. I just meant where is that string going?

To a developer -> CustomDebugStringConvertible / Reflection
To standard output -> Streamable
To a user -> NSLocalizedString — no protocol (yet?)
To an API / for serialisation -> LosslessStringConvertible
To a playground -> CustomPlaygroundQuickLookable

CustomStringConvertible is left over, but doesn’t have a use case? Unless it’s an alternative to Streamable, but then why have Streamable? People will use ‘description’ for multiple use cases, which makes sense when you are both a developer and a user, or your users are developers like with a command-line tool, so there doesn’t seem to be any grey. But I believe there is, and that it is beneficial to pin it to one of the use cases above, and to have dedicated clear-cut protocols for each use case.

I’m not sure if anyone else shares the concern, so I’ll leave it. I do believe it’s important however.

Patrick