[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Protected Access Level

Vanderlei Martinelli vmartinelli at alecrim.com
Sun May 29 18:50:37 CDT 2016

Hi Leonardo.

Thank you for your answer.

I understand your point of view and I agree that it is better to look
forward. But today we still have to deal with decades of legacy Cocoa code
written using classes. If tomorrow a new set of Cocoa frameworks written in
Swift using protocols appears, maybe we can forget all of this discussion.
But OOP is very important and don't think it is the "past". I see future in
"POP" as I see in "OOP" and I think we can have OOP and POP living in
harmony in Swift. And since we have support to classes in Swift, I think it
shall have a full featured support for classes.

Perhaps my reaction in the last message sounds like I am overreacting when
seen in the context of this thread. But I am programming in Swift since the
first day it was publicly available (and I think that the first almost
usable version to create real world apps was the 1.2). Since the old
forums, when Swift was not yet open source, I have been insisting on
certain improvements.

About bridging member declarations from Objective-C, many of these classes
already have separated headers with the members intended to be overrided.
Exceptions to this rule could be "annotated" somehow. (I would like to
mention classes that are entirely intended to be subclassed and not used as
is in Cocoa frameworks, but this is about "abstract" access level modifier
and not part of this proposal.)

Regards,

Vanderlei Martinelli