[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Protected Access Level

L Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Sun May 29 07:19:03 CDT 2016

> On May 29, 2016, at 9:38 AM, Charlie Monroe via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Ditto - I would love to be able to disallow non-subclasses accessing/modifying some variables.
>
> Though, I'm not sure what would be the stand on this from the core team - according to Apple's blog they've already considered protected access level:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=11
>
> Charlie

let’s perpetuate the helplessness because developers will not understand. That might be the rationale that also prevailed to make swift have no namespaces: Objective-c did not… funny thing is, the compiler source code would be miserable to read if its source code was organized in terms of classes and modules (lib). Which means that aside from accessibility to LLVM API, attempting to write a Swift compiler in Swift today would probably result in hard to read/reason about source code.