[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:36:25 CDT 2016

(inline)

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Thorsten Seitz <tseitz42 at icloud.com>
wrote:

> Am 27.05.2016 um 18:36 schrieb Austin Zheng <austinzheng at gmail.com>:
>
> I think the parentheses are the fundamental aspect of the suggestion :).
>
> Let me turn the question around. If tuples were declared like this:
>
> let myTuple : Int, String, Bool = (10, "hello", false)
>
> would the type be more or less readable? I find it a lot more difficult to
> immediately parse than:
>
> let myTuple : (Int, String, Bool) = (10, "hello", false)
>
> At the same time, nobody's complained about tuple type parentheses getting
> in the way.
>

> Parentheses are the hallmark of tuples, so its natural to expect them
> around the tuple type as well :-)

But this is a circular definition. Why can't parentheses be the hallmark of
structural types, not just tuples? After all, one of the big complaints
against the Any<> and protocol<> syntaxes has been that angle brackets
belong to generics already.

> We're trying to establish a syntax that will hopefully be used for things
> significantly more complicated than tuple definitions, which are just a
> list of types. I think readability is a major concern. Typealiases should
> be supported, but they shouldn't be required to make the feature useable.
>
> Finally, wouldn't we need some delimiter for nested existential
> definitions anyways? Now you have the confusing situation where the outside
> definition has no delimiters, but the inside ones do:
>

> Why is this confusing? The expression `2 * (3 + 1)` also has parentheses
> only around the part which needs them.
> Probably no one would require having to write `(2 * (3 + 1))` for
> consistency.

You can make the same argument about tuples.

> // Why does the inner existential look fundamentally different than the
> outer one?
> // Not to mention, visually parsing the boundaries of this type when you
> look at it in a function signature
> let x : Protocol1, Protocol2, (Protocol 3 where .Foo == Int) where
> Protocol2.Bar : Baz
>

> Using `&` instead of `,` will make it look better, too, IMHO:
>
> let x: Protocol1 & Protocol2 & (Protocol3 where .Foo == Int) where
> Protocol2.Bar: Baz

I agree that '&' is better - my mistake. I still submit my concerns about
legibility.

> or better (removing the asymmetry):
>
> let x: Protocol1 & (Protocol2 where .Bar : Baz) & (Protocol3 where .Foo ==
> Int)
>
> or putting all constraints in the where clause for the whole expression:
>
> let x: Protocol1 & Protocol2 & Protocol3 where Protocol2.Bar: Baz,
> Protocol3.Foo == Int

I would much rather have parentheses enclosing the outside type than force
people to structure their requirements a certain way.