[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Property reflection

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Fri May 27 08:38:55 CDT 2016

Sent from my iPad

> On May 27, 2016, at 6:15 AM, Leonardo Pessoa <me at lmpessoa.com> wrote:
>
> I'm also not fond of allowing what could be called a backdoor to accessing privates and intervals too but has anyone thought of enhancing the Mirror class instead of having something totally new? I've tried using it once but in the end it wasn't necessary for what I needed to do.
>
> An opt-in into reflection would be interesting too as it could help remove the burden of the compiler to prepare each class and instance for reflection. Should a type be prepared for reflection one could add to it an attribute like @reflected. Then the compiler would add the necessary optimisations to it and its subclasses.
>
> About serialisation, I still think the best way to deal with it is to use the Visitor pattern. Each class that needs serialisation implements the functions that say what exactly is needed to save and restore state. I don't see how anything automatic can be better than this.

I brought up serialization because a lot of people *want* to do it using a dynamic API.  This is a part of the Objective-C vs Swift dynamism conversation that is happening right now.  That conversation inspired Austin's pitch and also my comment that people's desire for this makes access control a tricky issue.

Regardless of *you* want to do serialization, I think it's important to recognize that this is a hot topic and one of the frustrations some people currently have with Swift.  I think it's worth having the conversation about how we can better satisfy the use cases they have talked about and what role reflection might play in that.

I think most serialization use cases are probably better served by static rather than dynamic reflection.  But it isn't clear how long we'll have to wait until we can do that.