[swift-evolution] [Returned for revision] SE-0089: Renaming String.init<T>(_: T)

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:10:34 CDT 2016

These are some great points. I like the sound of ValuePreservingStringConvertible. A few questions to add:

- If its conformers produce a value-preserving representation, would it make sense for it to also have an initializer accepting the value? What specifically makes it value preserving otherwise?

- What is the difference between CustomStringConvertible and CustomDebugStringConvertible? Are most implementations of description and debugDescription identical? It says CustomStringConvertible is for writing to an output stream. Is a ‘value preserving string’ going to be a better fit for that all the time?

- To the question of ‘is CustomStringConvertible enough?’, what about replacing it with ValuePreservingStringConvertible? Then there are two very distinct protocols: ValuePreservingStringConvertible and CustomDebugStringConvertible, one obviously safely value preserving and one obviously just for inspecting.

- Could `.description` be renamed to something more specific and clear? For example, `preservedValue` or `.valuePreservingDescription`. If the recommended way is to use `init<T: ValuePreservingStringConvertible>(_ v: T)`, will anybody be using `.description` directly anyway? I always found NSObject’s seize of the ‘description’ property annoying, as on models it’s a perfect valid property to want as a member, so I was a little disappointed to see it in Swift too. If there’s an alternative, more clear name for this property then it won’t clash with anything else.

I like this clear separation of ‘value preserving’ and ‘just show me something’ representations.

Patrick