[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0089: Replace protocol<P1, P2> syntax with Any<P1, P2>

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed May 25 07:37:56 CDT 2016

Sent from my iPad

> On May 25, 2016, at 1:33 AM, L. Mihalkovic <laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 25, 2016, at 1:15 AM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my iPad

>>> Given our reluctance to even overload operators for use with Set, I'd personally find this a bit incongruous.
>>
>> I don't recall a proposal around operators for Set.  What did people want to use?  The obvious candidates are way too hard to type on the keyboards we have today.
>
> It is a joke, right? The layout of the keyboards used in one country as a driver for a feature.

I'm thinking of keyboards much different than we have today.  Imagine a keyboard where the meaning of keys isn't fixed, but is instead controllable by apps.  This may, but need not be a touchscreen keyboard like we have on iPad.  There are hardware keyboards with physical keys where each key displays a software provided symbol.  If keyboards lie this become ubiquitous it would be easy for programming apps to make Unicode operator symbols relatively easy for everyone to type, regardless of locale.