[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0097: Normalizing naming for "negative" attributes

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Wed May 25 05:39:40 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

In favor. Attributes essentially function as adjectives, describing the declarations they are applied to. `nonescaping` and `nonreturning` are more adjective-like than `noescape` and `noreturn`, and thus are more appropriate names.

I don't find the term-of-art argument compelling for `noreturn`; it's a rarely used feature even in the languages that support it. But that's just me.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. This is the time to clean these things up.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes. We are currently in a big push to rationalize Swift naming, and this move is compatible with that push.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Most languages I've used are not really very good at assigning parts of speech to different categories of language constructs. Swift's focus on this kind of thing is refreshing.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick reading, plus contributions to the previous discussion.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies