[swift-evolution] Proposal: Deprecate optionals in string interpolation

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Tue May 24 01:38:30 CDT 2016

I've pretty much rewritten the propsal (https://gist.github.com/charlieMonroe/82e1519dd2b57029f69bc7abe99d7385) to use casting to `as Any` instead of the formally suggested `.debugDescription` or `.description` to silence the warning.

It also includes `Uninterpolable` protocol that `Optional` conforms to and you can hence deprecate interpolation of your own types.

Questions, however:

- `Uninterpolable` seems too restrictive a name - it's not that the type *can't* be used for interpolation, but it is discouraged from being used for interpolation. Any ideas for better names?

- Should the deprecation of interpolation of `Uninterpolable` be declared:
	- on `String`, thus allowing custom `StringInterpolationConvertible` classes to still use the `Uninterpolable` for interpolation, or
	- as an extension of `StringInterpolationConvertible`, thus disallowing interpolation of all `Uninterpolable` types.

I personally prefer the latter as you always can force the interpolation using `as Any`. Thoughts?

Charlie