[swift-evolution] Proposal SE-0009 Reconsideration

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:59:56 CDT 2016

On 23.05.2016 21:41, Charles Srstka via swift-evolution wrote:
> Plus, I might end up having to use a different source editor sometimes,
> particularly when I’m doing a large refactor and Xcode is stuck in its
> “SourceKitService crash every time two characters are typed” thing. I’d
> really rather have things differentiable in the language itself rather than
> relying on external crutches.

IMO it's weird to rely on XCode features when we discuss some features of
the language. Not always Swift code is edited in XCode, not always in IDE
that supports different colors for different kind of variables, not always
you have IDE at all and you can have just editor with simple(it will not
parse/compile Swift code/project) coloring for base language constructions.

As for this proposal. I don't believe(based on community and core team
response) the situation with implicit 'self.' could be changed. So let's
use lints and other tools to achieve the target of warning for implicit
'self.'. I suggest to move forward the idea of warning(and 'fix') for
shadowing of variables in general and property and local variable in
particular.