[swift-evolution] Enhanced existential types proposal discussion

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Mon May 23 07:36:08 CDT 2016

Sent from my iPad

> On May 22, 2016, at 5:18 PM, Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I agree; the difference between protocols with and without associated types has been an endless source of confusion for a lot of people.
>
> Speaking of which, for those who care I rewrote the draft proposal to attempt a much more rigorous treatment of the semantics of the generalized existential, including a discussion about existential type equivalence and subtyping. It would be nice to see people poke holes in my logic so I can patch them up. https://github.com/austinzheng/swift-evolution/blob/az-existentials/proposals/XXXX-enhanced-existentials.md

This looks really nice.  I really, really appreciate all of your hard work on this.  It addresses one of the very largest pain points in Swift and does so comprehensively.  (The other really large pain point IMO is lack of conditional conformance).

I haven't had time to thoroughly review every detail but didn't see errors in a relatively quick glance over it.