[swift-evolution] Proposal SE-0009 Reconsideration

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Sun May 22 07:34:41 CDT 2016

> On May 22, 2016, at 3:22 AM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 21, 2016, at 5:30 AM, Charlie Monroe via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have created a proposal for making the self. optional warning. It can be viewed here:
>>
>> https://github.com/charlieMonroe/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/xxxx-optional-warning-for-explicit-self.md
>>
>> Does anyone see a downside to this solution, having it an optional warning?
>
> I suspect the only issue is that there are lots of things that people would want to have as optional warnings, and it might be hard to justify why this optional warning is more important than other optional warnings all of which would benefit the user. In previous conversations, I believe "can it be linted?" has been proposed as the question to be asked for this kind of thing.
>
> I haven't paid attention very closely to most of these conversations and I did vote against an explicit self requirement.

+1
many languages have thrived despite not mandating a "self." prefix, and it has not caused all software written with these languages to be bug ridden catastrophies. Lint seems like a rational place to resolve these stylistic preferences.

The problem can also be easily mitigated by having the IDE use a different color to display a variable based on where it was defined (eclipse come to mind as an example). This is something the brain naturally notices without paying any conscious attention.