[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Add `mapValues` method to Dictionary

Honza Dvorsky jan.dvorsky at me.com
Sun May 22 04:47:59 CDT 2016

Please correct me if I'm off here, but I quickly looked at the
implementation of lazy collections/sequences, and I think it's because the
goal is to keep the API of e.g. normal Array and a lazy Array the same, so
that you don't actually have to know which one you're working with. But
under the hood, they're very different objects, as one owns the memory of
its elements, whereas the lazy one goes back to the array it was created
with and pulls it elements (before e.g. transforming them). And as structs
cannot be subclassed, a lot of the functionality is implemented in default
functions on the protocol. So if you wanted to create a lazy version of a
Dictionary, which has an identical API, you'd have to duplicate a lot of
code - unless you pull the Dictionary-ness into a protocol, make Dictionary
just the normal form of Dictionary, but allow a LazyDictionary under the
hood to pull values from a parent dictionary based on keys, transform them
with mapValues and return them.

Does that make sense? I looked at the implementation of Dictionary in the
stdlib yesterday, and IMO it'd be a pretty huge amount of work to refactor
it into the Map protocol first, so I'm trying to push for having a non-lazy
version done first, and then add the lazy version once someone proposes to
add the Map protocol later (otherwise this'll just get stuck here for
months, because I doubt the core team would be happy with making such large
changes for allowing one convenience method only, now that Swift 3 is being
stabilized).