[swift-evolution] Static Dispatch Pitfalls

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sat May 21 06:42:40 CDT 2016

> That said, has anyone considered requiring a keyword on the method in the protocol extension that makes it explicit that the dispatch is non-dynamic?

Many moons ago, I was pushing to require a `final` keyword on protocol extension methods, which would prevent conforming types from providing their own implementations. It was probably the first thing I worked on. There were long arguments about whether and how you could override the `final`-ness, people kept clamoring for dynamic dispatch, and I ultimately wasn't able to produce a consensus before I had to turn my attention back towards paying work.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies