[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Rename `AnyObject` to `AnyClass` and drop current `AnyClass`

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Sat May 21 02:08:04 CDT 2016

Another thing to consider is that AnyObject currently has magic that allows any Objective-C method to be called upon it if Foundation is imported on an Apple platform. I think it may be desirable to have AnyObject become something like Any<class>, and have a differently-named construct take the place of an ersatz 'id' type for Objective-C interop.
I’m not sure if this will be the case, just because this proposal is accepted:

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0072-eliminate-implicit-bridging-conversions.md

And this might be accepted as well (which I defiantly support):

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0083-remove-bridging-from-dynamic-casts.md

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail