[swift-evolution] RFC: didset and willset

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri May 20 15:41:27 CDT 2016

> On May 20, 2016, at 11:52 AM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

>>> I think that these are the relevant rules.  As I mentioned upthread, .dynamicType is broken for a different reason, and thus leads to a different solution (it should be a global function in the stdlib, not a propery).
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>
>> Separate action items:
>>
>> * Move dynamicType to standard library as a global function
>> * Rename didSet and willSet to lowercase to conform to Swift standard of conjoined lowercase keywords.
>
> Sounds great.
>
>> * Rename noescape to nonescaping to conform to Swift standard of "non"-modified attributes
>
> I just looked and the one other wrong one we have is “noreturn”.  It would be great to tackle nonescaping and whatever noreturn should be in the same proposal.
>
> Thanks Erica!
>
> -Chris

Please look through and comment:

https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407>

Gist contents pasted below.

-- Erica

Adopting consistent keyword casing in Swift

Proposal: TBD
Author: Erica Sadun <https://github.com/erica>
Review manager: TBD
 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407#introduction>Introduction

This proposal adopts consistent conjoined keyword lowercasing.

Swift-evolution thread: RFC: didset and willset <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/17534>
 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407#motivation>Motivation

Swift is an opinionated language. One opinion it adheres to is that keywords should use conjoined lowercasing. Conjoined lowercase terms already in the language include typealias, associatedtype, and fallthrough. Using this casing style enables programmers to treat keywords as atomic concepts. This proposal formalizes this rule and fixes current inconsistencies.

 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407#swift-casing-rules-roadmap>Swift Casing Rules Roadmap

This proposal addresses the first of the following Swift casing rules:

Keywords use lower case conjoined naming.
Attributes use lower camel cased naming.
Attributes use “non” prefixes in preference to "no" prefixes.
Compiler-expanded literals use lower camel casing and are prefixed with octothorpes (#)
Swift eschews snake casing. (See also: SE-0028 <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0028-modernizing-debug-identifiers.md>)
Terms of art may be exempted from casing rules.
Phrases sourced from outside Swift may be exempted from Swift casing rules, e.g. @UIApplicationMain.
 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407#swift-language-cleanup-roadmap>Swift Language Cleanup Roadmap

This proposal is part of a series that will:

Normalize casing to lower conjoined names.
Normalize naming for "negative" attributes (from "noFeature" to "nonfeaturing").
Move dynamicType to the standard library as a global function.
 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407#detailed-design>Detailed Design

Upon adoption, Swift will rename didSet and willSet to willset and didset. Future expansions to the language will follow this adopted rule, for example didchange.

This proposal deliberately omits the dynamicType keyword, which will be addressed under separate cover: to be moved to the standard library as a standalone global function.

 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407#impact-on-existing-code>Impact on Existing Code

This proposal requires migration support to rename keywords that use the old convention to adopt the new convention. This is a simple substitution that should limit effect on code.

This proposal recommends deprecating old-style keywords in Swift 2.3 and removing them in Swift 3.

 <https://gist.github.com/erica/7fa61c3b74b2a2635dbea02120ac5407#alternatives-considered>Alternatives Considered

Not adopting this rule for Swift.