[swift-evolution] [Pitch] making where and , interchangeable in guard conditions.

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri May 20 13:01:21 CDT 2016

> On May 20, 2016, at 11:53 AM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:
> I am less certain about allowing simple boolean expressions that are not introduced by the `where` keyword (excepting the first one which is introduced with the `guard` keyword).  I think this is a separate question that should receive independent consideration.  I think a reasonable argument can be made both ways.

That's kind of the heart of the matter.

There's an assumption that guard statements are:

`guard` (conjoined boolean tests) | (conjoined boolean tests,)? (pattern | binding (where boolean)?, )+ else {...}

Right? (Except I couldn't figure out how to grammar out the final comma,) I'm suggesting:

`guard` ((boolean | (pattern | binding (where boolean)?)),)+ else {...}

instead. (And ditto about final comma) This promotes boolean statements to the same standing, so they're not limited to the start of the guard statement or syntactically tied to a pattern/binding where there may be no semantic basis.

-- E