[swift-evolution] Removing "_ in" from empty closures

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri May 20 12:46:26 CDT 2016

> On May 20, 2016, at 11:42 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:

>>> Oh, I completely forgot that it’s only $n you have to reference, not $n-1 or anything else. So I guess it’s not quite serving the purpose I thought it was.
>>>
>>> Jordan
>>
>> Who knew?  http://i.imgur.com/8ytNkn0.jpg <http://i.imgur.com/8ytNkn0.jpg> !
>>
>> So anyway, how hard a problem is this to fix? And do you want me to submit the proposal as a PR or not?
>
> Not requiring you to refer to the last argument is a bug fix, and not requiring "_ in" will fall out from that fix.  I think that means there's nothing left to propose.  If anyone feels strongly that you should have to do *something* to ignore arguments, at least if you're ignoring all of them, that should be its own proposal.
>
> John.

History to date:

1. draft proposal:  https://gist.github.com/erica/3731e24fc252c8e66850e0e02f491281 <https://gist.github.com/erica/3731e24fc252c8e66850e0e02f491281>

2. bug report: https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-1528 <https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-1528> (although it seems the bug is wrongly named, and should be "requires reference to ultimate anonymous argument, not all arguments)

I do not feel strongly that you should have to do *anything* to ignore arguments. It should be magical.

Thus, it sounds like I should kick back and cross this off my "take action" list. Right?

-- E