[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Namespaces

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Fri May 20 10:54:42 CDT 2016

Can submodules enforce the developer to use its name ’Submodule.SomeClass’? Do I have to re-build submodules when I made any changes to them before building the outside code base? Can they efficiently used for cross decencies between different modules/submodules?

——
Empty enums is an abuse of the language!

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 20. Mai 2016 bei 17:49:29, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) schrieb:

> On May 20, 2016, at 10:43 AM, Robert Schwalbe via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm +1 for namespaces everywhere, some names can be common. For example Node could be related to trees, physics engines and all sorts of constructs. "Node" may be a perfectly fine name for these. That said, these are sometimes tied to specific types in which case nesting them may make more sense, which I believe is already being addressed (currently we can't nest generic types)? It's certainly not as simple as it can appear!
>
> Absolutely +1 for namespaces.
>
> Even if you despise the concept of namespaces that seems like that can be addressed by a project and/or company style guide that explicitly forbids their use.
>
> For the people/projects that would embrace namespaces, namespaces would be a godsend.
>
> Sure, you can probably pull all kind of stunts to simulate namespaces, but besides creating additional work for the Swift team (and I do not say nor take that lightly), they really need to be supported and implemented at the language/syntax level for first class citizenry.

What benefit do namespaces provide that submodules would not?