[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0089: Renaming String.init<T>(_: T)

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Fri May 20 08:03:30 CDT 2016

> On May 19, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> on Tue May 17 2016, Chris Lattner <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>
>> Hello Swift community,
>>
>> The review of "SE-0089: Renaming String.init<T>(_: T)" begins now and
>> runs through May 23. The proposal is available here:
>>
>> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0089-rename-string-reflection-init.md
>>
>> Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All
>> reviews should be sent to the swift-evolution mailing list at

>> or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the review manager.
>>
>> What goes into a review?
>>
>> The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review
>> through constructive criticism and contribute to the direction of
>> Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might
>> want to answer in your review:
>>
>> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
>> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
>> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
>> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
>> feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
>> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
>>
>> More information about the Swift evolution process is available at
>>
>> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/process.md
>
> I'm posting this on behalf of Dmitri Gribenko, and Max Moiseev, and
> myself.
>
> We would like to accept the proposal with one modification: rather than
> add an argument label, we'd like to drop the String initializer
> altogether, making `"\(expression)"` the standard way to get a string
> representation of `expression`.

Is there some performance-driven motivation here, or is this just aesthetics?

I ask b/c not having a name for this "initializer" here would seem mildly annoying and asymmetric vis-a-vis `String.init(reflecting:)`; sure, I can always add an equivalent with a name, but I’m curious if there’s an argument-from-functionality for the removal.

Also FWIW I like the idea to use `init(describing:)`, although it’s still a bit quirky when put side-by-side with `init(reflecting:)` (since it doesn’t really capture the heart of the distinction between the two, IMHO).