[swift-evolution] Proposal: Deprecate optionals in string interpolation

Krystof Vasa kvasa at icloud.com
Fri May 20 02:11:11 CDT 2016

> Four questions:
> 1. If I was printing a protocol type that Optional supports, such as Any, would I get a warning?

This was my bad, I wrote an incorrect example, print("http://apple.com\(myURL.path)") was what I meant - which will print

http://apple.comOptional(/iphone/).

Putting an optional directly into print(_:) should be fine with no warning. Only within the string interpolation.

> 2. I believe debugDescription is discouraged from being called directly [from CustomDebugStringConvertible docs]. Perhaps String(reflecting: ) instead, although such debug description behavior could cause different results if you were expecting this fixit to apply to Any types.

This is not invoked on the value within the Optional, but directly *on* the Optional. As declared here (part of Swift):

extension Optional : CustomDebugStringConvertible {
    /// A textual representation of `self`, suitable for debugging.
    public var debugDescription: String { get }
}

Example:

let stringOptional: String? = "Hello"

// Notice no ? is used - the optional is not unwrapped
stringOptional.debugDescription // Optional(Hello)

// Unwrapping the optional
stringOptional!.debugDescription // Hello

Not sure what would be the impact of making Optional CustomStringConvertible (i.e. instead of using debugDescription, one would use just description).

> 3. How would I have the ability to opt into this behavior for my own types (such as Result or Future)?
> 4. How would I opt in/out of this behavior for my own StringInterpolationConvertible implementations?

This is not about customizing the interpolation but about warning the user when using optionals in string interpolation to prevent from such mistakes as above with the URL. This is more common than one would think and sometimes is hard to spot. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you questions.