[swift-evolution] Winding down the Swift 3 release

Shawn Erickson shawnce at gmail.com
Thu May 19 10:10:52 CDT 2016

In the end it is just a version number.

I don't think anyone would want to stop official releases of Swift while
the rather long list of work items - let alone outstanding evolution
discussions/reviews - get worked thru towards the goal of having strong
source compatibility and stable ABI. It is obvious that the Swift community
- including Apple - want to push the language farther forward then is
possible in the original mindset for Swift 3.

So the line won't be drawn in 3.0 but some future release... It likely
won't change when that line will be drawn since that is being driven by the
remaining work and evolution topics, it just changes what version number we
associated with that line.

I do think some more progress could be made by the larger community if a
better way of engaging and maintaining non-Apple interested help while
avoiding conflicts with unseen changes / decisions and reduce bottlenecks
getting design and code reviews done in a more timely fashion. I know folks
are very busy and it makes it difficult so I suggest additional staffing
(could come from outside) to help support the community outside of Apple.

-Shawn