[swift-evolution] Proposal SE-0009 Reconsideration

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Thu May 19 07:19:39 CDT 2016

On 19.05.2016 0:09, Krystof Vasa via swift-evolution wrote:
> Yes, of course. But if you mark shadowing as error/warning, you need to
> update dozens if not hundreds of places in your projects since most
> default argument names in UITableViewController shadow the tableView
> instance variable.

I believe no sense to discuss *error* on shadowing - seems like almost no
one is supporting error in this case.

But as for *warning*, I see that we have 3 options in this situation:
1. Live with silence shadowing of `tableView` and with possible bugs
because of this (no warnings)
2. Have warnings in our project regarding shadowing of tableView, and do
nothing with them(or probably we need a feature to ignore some specific
warnings in project once and forever). Project still can be compiled.
3. Rename each `tableView` in such places (or probably we need some
customization of what name XCode will use when appends this method) as you
don't want warnings and don't want to shadow property.

IMO the best solution here: option in compiler/settings, where one can
decide if he/she needs warnings in this case.