[swift-evolution] [Draft] Introducing StaticSelf, an Invariant Self

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:57:51 CDT 2016

I think the distinction between StaticSelf and Self will be very confusing to newcomers.

So the only reason why we must use StaticSelf instead of Self here is because we want NSURL to conform, and it isn’t final?

protocol StringCreatable {
    static func createWithString(s: String) -> StaticSelf
}

I find it a code smell that this would affect the protocol and not the class.

Why couldn’t you have this?

protocol StringCreatable {
    static func createWithString(s: String) -> Self
}

extension NSURL: StringCreatable {
 // can now conform conform because NSURL is fixed and matches the static
 // type of the conforming construct. Subclasses need not re-implement
 // NOTE: the return type can be declared as StaticSelf *or* as NSURL
 //       they are interchangeable
 static func createWithString(s: String) -> StaticSelf {
     // ...