[swift-evolution] RFC: didset and willset

michael.peternell at gmx.at michael.peternell at gmx.at
Wed May 18 16:22:07 CDT 2016

> Am 18.05.2016 um 22:58 schrieb Josh Parmenter via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
> I have a general preference for camelCase as well, but I would prefer consistency in the language over my own personal preference.

In fact, I wouldn't care much about the naming. But I don't like much change. Change is okay if there is a real improvement. But changes for "consistency" have to be very convincing for me to be even considered. After all, "didSet" and "willSet" is what I have learned. And I don't think that is entirely bad. I'm still open for improvements, but I want to have a feeling that the improvement is bigger than my pain about having to learn something new* . I hope that is not too much to ask for. "Being easy to learn for Swift 2 wizards" should be a medium-priority design goal for Swift 3. That's just my personal opinion though. Maybe it's because I have no problem with remembering big amounts of keywords with mixed case and underscore rules. (And Xcode 7.3 turns all these case-issues into non-issues IMHO.)

-Michael

* Learning about Generics is fun. Learning about the new case-changes in Swift 3 is not.