[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0089: Renaming String.init<T>(_: T)

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:08:40 CDT 2016

`init(describing:)` make sense to me. I can see how it could be argued “well it looks like it calls the ‘description’ method of the argument, when it doesn’t, so this is poor naming”.

However, `init(printing:)` looks like it has something to do with `print()`, when it doesn’t. ‘Print’ is a verb, and means to print to standard output. `init(printing:)` has nothing to do with the standard output.

So, `init(describing:)`, how is it more clear? I think it is more clear as you are always getting a description. If you want a custom description, it’s obvious, you implement CustomStringConvertible’s description method. The word ‘describing’ is just based on its meaning, not on how it is implemented with the use of CustomStringConvertible or not.

Patrick