[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0041: Updating Protocol Naming Conventions for Conversions

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed May 18 15:09:11 CDT 2016

> On May 18, 2016, at 3:01 PM, Erica Sadun <erica at ericasadun.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think `Convertible` is clearer than `Initializable`, but I think it rolls off the tongue better, is easier to spell, is more compatible with non-initializer implementations, and in general wins on a lot of squishy, subjective, hard-to-define axes.
>>>
>>> Subjectively, I've noticed that a lot of people *don't* think of things like `Double(myFloat)` as being initializers; they think of them as conversions. To those people, `Convertible` is probably the right name.
>>
>> Thanks for elaborating.  I can see that perspective.  It does also have the advantage of being the smallest change from current state.
>>
>> I certainly wouldn’t oppose this.  The most important thing IMO is that we agree on *something*.
>

> The whole discussion started because ArrayLiteralConvertible meant "can be initialized from Array literal", and not "can be converted to array literal", which is what nearly everyone this was presented to in an informal study thought it meant.

That was not the genesis of this proposal in my mind.  I was frustrated with the different semantics for Convertible between CustomStringConvertible and *LiteralConvertible.

However, I do agree that there is some potential for ambiguity inherent in the term Convertible which is probably how the current conflicting uses arose in the first place.

Whatever we decide to do, I hope we can at least remove the current conflict and have consistent meanings in the standard library!