[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0041: Updating Protocol Naming Conventions for Conversions

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Wed May 18 13:52:19 CDT 2016

>> If we're doing this, I wonder if category 1 shouldn't just be `Convertible`. This would preserve our `LiteralConvertible` protocols with the same names (which, consistency issues aside, seem perfectly cromulent), while shifting the `StringConvertible` protocols over to the `Representable` category.
>
> Do you really think 'Convertible' is more clear than 'Initializable'?

I don't think `Convertible` is clearer than `Initializable`, but I think it rolls off the tongue better, is easier to spell, is more compatible with non-initializer implementations, and in general wins on a lot of squishy, subjective, hard-to-define axes.

Subjectively, I've noticed that a lot of people *don't* think of things like `Double(myFloat)` as being initializers; they think of them as conversions. To those people, `Convertible` is probably the right name.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies