[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Constrains for numeric types: Int<1...10> Double<0.0...1.0>

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Wed May 18 07:49:07 CDT 2016

As you guys brought my idea back to life and I’ve done some effort of digging into the Swifts generic future I can show you some fresh ideas.

`Refinement Types` could be really handy, but put them aside for a moment.

Actually we could achieve something like Int<minValue, maxValue> in Swift 3. Take a look at this section here: https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md#generic-value-parameters

There is a slightly problem with this, we cannot rewrite all types to be generic with default parameters. That said it would be nice if we could overload types somehow (Int vs. Int<Range>), but I’m not sure if this idea would suit the language like this.

Anyways we could then have:

struct Int<_ range: Range<Int>> { … }

Sadly this makes the type not safe at compile time but only signals the user that at runtime you can’t use any number our of its range.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 18. Mai 2016 bei 14:13:09, Vladimir.S via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) schrieb:

> I generally think it’s a cool idea and that it can be useful in minimizing
> partial functions by requiring that these cases are explicitly handled.

Support this opinion.

Other example where such feature could be useful: some public property in
type that can accept values from some interval. For example we have class
with transparency property that can be 0.0 ... 0.1:

class MyShape {
public var transparency: Double = 1.0 // 0.0 ... 0.1
}

yes, we can use willSet/didSet to check this every time. But if we have a
number of such properties, we have a lot of repetitive and boilerplate code:

class C {
var transparancy : Double = 1.0 {
didSet { check(transparancy, 0.0...1.0) }
}

var prop1 : Int = 1 {
didSet { check(prop1, from: -10...10) }
}

var prop2 : Int = 1 {
didSet { check(prop2, from: 0...100) }

, and all will be worse if we also need didSet observers to do some
'useful' work here.
Proposed solution will looks like:

class C {
var transparancy : Double<0.0...1.0> = 1.0

var prop1 : Int<-10...10> = 1

var prop2 : Int<0...100> = 1
}

Probably the alternative could be some kind of `where` or `bounded` clause
for numeric types and arguments:

class C {
var transparancy : Double = 1.0 where 0.0...1.0
//var transparancy : Double bounded 0.0...1.0 = 1.0

var prop1 : Int = 1 where -10...10

var prop2 : Int = 1 where 0.0...1.0

//var prop3 : Float bounded 0.0..<100.0 = 0.0
}