[swift-evolution] Idea: Named extensions

Brandon Knope bknope at me.com
Mon May 16 14:14:39 CDT 2016

I have never seen anyone use this. Why? Because it is relatively unknown and not very “pretty” in my opinion. In the ideal world, everyone would have perfectly formatted and up to date comment, but I am not convinced this is usually the case.

It’s good for IDE documenting, but:
• Online tutorials do NOT use this in code samples, keeping it from being widely known (and because it looks ugly next to their sample and makes it look more verbose)
• It really does not look nice with the language. It seems like IDE magic
• What about people writing in a text editor or not in Xcode? If they do not get a benefit out of // MARK: or /// - Keyword: why would they use it?

And a quick read of Matthew’s proposal tells me that it may be beneficial to be able to refer to the name of an extension in the future. I am still reading through his proposal but that’s what I took from it with a quick look.

Brandon