[swift-evolution] [RFD] Non-Self Protocol Requirements

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Mon May 16 10:06:34 CDT 2016

Yes, something like this would be handy! Even the ability to coerce from one type to another, if that destination type has a keyless initialiser for the source type.

Here’s some imaginary syntax for with Erica’s array example. I would prefer a way to not have a separate type for ‘DoubleSource’ if possible.

let foo: [Double] = Double[int32, int8, double, cgfloat, float] // As if you had written Double(…) around each item

or

let foo: [Double] = [int32, int8, double, cgfloat, float](Double.init) // // As if you had written Double(…) around each item

Here’s another use case I’ve had:

enum Deferred<Result> {
	typealias UseResult = () throws -> Result

	case unit(UseResult)
	case future(((UseResult) -> ()) -> ())

	init(_ subroutine: UseResult) {
		self = .unit(subroutine)

Instead of this:

struct Example {
	func next() -> Deferred<Int> {
		return Deferred{ 42 }

It would be nice to be able to do this:

struct Example {
	func next() -> Deferred<Int> {
		return { 42 }

I don’t know if that’s playing with fire, but it would be seemingly nice for Swift to automatically infer what I want.