[swift-evolution] Allow FloatLiteralType in FloatLiteralConvertible to be aliased to String

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:20:24 CDT 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:24 AM, Morten Bek Ditlevsen via
swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> How does that sound? Is it completely irrational to allow the use of Strings as
> the intermediary representation of float literals?
> I think that it makes good sense, since it allows for arbitrary precision.

Hi,

I think you are raising an important problem, but using String as the
intermediate type does not strike me as an efficient and clean
solution.  We already have DictionaryLiteral, and extending that
family to also include FloatLiteral seems like the right direction to
me.

Dmitri