[swift-evolution] Case conventions for mixed-case words (like "iPad" and "NaN")

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Thu May 5 10:37:51 CDT 2016

> On May 5, 2016, at 10:26 AM, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> (“NeXT” is an especially tricky case because without case it’s not distinguishable from the normal word “next”. This situation is rare but not nonexistent. Then again, “Apple” is not distinguishable from the normal word “apple” either, and we seem to do fine there.)
“Apple” isn’t the name of a common function for dealing with collections & sequences.

“NeXT” is probably rare enough that we could keep it as-written regardless of whatever we settle on for the rest. Personally, I prefer to use the correct (that is, whatever you’d normally use in written communication) camel case, capitalizing the first letter when necessary (such as “foo.isIPad”) and not bother worrying about it more than that unless doing so would make for an ambiguous name.

That said, I’ve never tried to take part in defining standard library naming conventions before... There’s a fair chance I’m not seeing an obvious problem, rather than merely disagreeing.

- Dave Sweeris