[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0076: Add overrides taking an UnsafePointer source to non-destructive copying methods on UnsafeMutablePointer

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Wed May 4 12:34:10 CDT 2016

> On May 4, 2016, at 10:15 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:

>>> :-( …but it’s an implicit conversion. Which we’re trying to expunge from the language. (Sort of.)
>>
>> I’ve heard exactly the opposite argument recently. Namely that explicit UnsafePointer construction indicates an “unsafe” cast (I personally don’t agree with that argument though).
>>
>> Tangential: Which of our current implicit conversions are considered bad? I can’t think of a good alternative, particularly for String/Array to UnsafePointer.
>
> String/Array to UnsafePointer can't be safely expressed in the language right now without the lifetime-extending wrapper closure, so I feel less bad about those. Inout-to-pointer conversions don't feel implicit because of the '&'.
>
> For other conversions, the remaining implicit value-to-reference bridging conversion is up for review, and we've talked about tightening up when implicit optional wrapping can occur. IUOs are out of the type system, which is probably as far as they'll go. I think subclass-to-superclass and covariant function pointer conversions are likely to stay as is, though.
>
> I think converting initialization from UnsafeMutablePointer<T> to UnsafePointer<T> is always safe, but all the other initializers may need to grow a label (under our rules). That doesn't mean there should be an implicit conversion for it, as convenient as it may be.

That’s good to hear. I completely agree that unsafe conversions need to grow a label.

Although I still somewhat prefer implicit Mutable to Immutable conversions not only because it is so convenient but because programmers will expect that behavior. It feels to me like we are mimicking a type qualifier. AFAIK it doesn’t introduce implementation complexity or strange corner cases.

-Andy