[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0078: Implement a rotate algorithm, equivalent to std::rotate() in C++

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed May 4 08:15:46 CDT 2016

>    * What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1.  I'm pleased to see an important foundational algorithm added to the standard library.

>    * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes.  We should have a standard, shared implementation of as many generally useful algorithms as possible, especially those whose implementation is no trivial.

>    * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes

>    * If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

As noted in the proposal, it is inspired by STL, which is a very good source of inspiration for generic algorithms.

>    * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick read of the specific details of the proposal, informed by general familiarity with generic programming and the rotate algorithm.