[swift-evolution] #if os(Windows) and MSVC/Cygwin Compatibility

Sangjin Han tinysun.net at gmail.com
Wed May 4 01:20:02 CDT 2016

Dear Swift Community,

I think that the `imports(Module)` condition is more reasonable than 'os()'
in writing module applications. But we need another condition, as this case
was origin to distinct LLP64 from LP64 for the library.

I hope we get any condition which can equivalent or covering 'triple()' for
the following code.

 (in core/CTypes.swift)

 /// The C 'long' type.
 +#if triple(x86_64-*-windows-msvc) || triple(x86_64-*-windows-gnu)
 +public typealias CLong = Int32
 +#else
  public typealias CLong = Int
 +#endif

  /// The C 'long long' type.
 +#if triple(x86_64-*-windows-msvc) || triple(x86_64-*-windows-gnu)
 +public typealias CLongLong = Int
 +#else
  public typealias CLongLong = Int64
 +#endif

Moreover, it will be required to distinct MinGW(*-*-windows-gnu) from
*-*-windows-msvc, because MinGW and Cygwin can support Float80 differently
from MSVC.

We already have the 'arch()' for the first part of the triple. How about
'environ(windows-msvc)', 'environ(windows-cygnus)' for portable module
writers to cover full triple?

- Han Sangjin