[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0076: Add overrides taking an UnsafePointer source to non-destructive copying methods on UnsafeMutablePointer

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Tue May 3 23:39:00 CDT 2016

> On May 3, 2016, at 8:56 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of "SE-0076: Add overrides taking an UnsafePointer source to non-destructive copying methods on UnsafeMutablePointer" begins now and runs through May 9. The proposal is available here:
>
> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0076-copying-to-unsafe-mutable-pointer-with-unsafe-pointer-source.md
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

The new methods are needed, but they don’t need to be overloads. I have no idea why the argument type was originally declared Mutable.

func assignBackwardFrom(source: UnsafePointer<Pointee>, count: Int)
func assignFrom(source: UnsafePointer<Pointee>, count: Int)
func initializeFrom(source: UnsafePointer<Pointee>, count: Int)

FWIW: I made precisely this change a while back on an experimental branch while experimenting with UnsafePointer conversion. I don’t see a problem with it.

Implicit argument conversion from UnsafeMutablePointer<Pointee> to UnsafePointer<Pointee> is normal and extremely obvious.

-Andy