[swift-evolution] Auto Unwrapping Of Optionals

Cristián Arenas Ulloa cristian.arenas at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:55:25 CDT 2016

I think the programmer knows best in a case like that.
If I know it has a valid value, I wouldn't use an optional:

class Test {
    var today: NSDate? = nil
    func test() {
        let today = self.today ?? NSDate()
        self.today = today
        print("Today is \(today)") // Would not be printed as an optional
        let timeInterval: NSTimeInterval = today.timeIntervalSinceNow

What do you think about that?