[swift-evolution] Auto Unwrapping Of Optionals

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Mon May 2 15:16:28 CDT 2016

It is a bad idea to have the compiler change the interpretation of a type without some hard and fast rules; the compiler’s interpretation of the optionality of your code will result in your code being legal or not.

In terms of solutions, I would prefer something similar to a guard statement that, rather than exiting, shadows a constant or variable with a non-optional equivalent type, e.g.

shadow var today = today ?? NSDate()
let timeInterval = today.timeIntervalSinceNow

-DW