[swift-evolution] Should we rename "class" when referring to protocol conformance?

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Mon May 2 08:55:15 CDT 2016

I was just thinking that:
protocol Foo : reference {}
might be more to the point than:
protocol Foo : class {}

I know that it’s currently a moot point because classes are the only* reference-semantics type of type in Swift, but it’s conceivable that there might some day be others. Anyway, I’m not saying it’s a big deal or anything, I’m just trying to think of any source-breaking changes we might want to make before Swift 3 drops, and this seems like an easy one.

- Dave Sweeris

* I’m not actually sure this is true. I have a very vague recollection about some protocols getting reference semantics in certain circumstances, but the memory is so hazy I’m not sure I trust it. Also I can’t remember if the “indirect” keyword in enums affects the semantics.