[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals.

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Sat Apr 30 20:50:34 CDT 2016

on Sat Apr 30 2016, "Ted F.A. van Gaalen via swift-evolution" <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> @Dave  also
> what do you think about this?
> I am trying to avoid the conclusion that most Swift-evolution
> participants are very much FP biased.  is this the case?

I don't believe so.

> (some have ventilated this before in different tunes)
> That wouldn’t be too much of a problem where it not for the (hopefully
> wrong) impressions that:
>
> - Functional Programmers think (like the LISP-ers did in the
> seventies) that they are superior and Mathematically Correct, there is
> no other way, and therefore all else is hopelessly wrong and should be
> recklessly removed (from Swift in this case) like removing language
> elements that are not in line with FP?

The things we've removed from the language, and the reasons we've
removed them, don't have anything to do with FP.  Personally I'm
ambivalent about many of the removals, but as I understand the rationale it is
mostly about eliminating some error-prone `C' heritage, and that makes
sense to me.

> Consider for a moment that Swift-Evolution was OOP-dominated
> and therefore happily removing closures/lambdas protocols,
> because they have never used it or even do not understand it?
> would you accept that?
>
> (protocols in Swift are cool btw, as for me,
> I take the best of both worlds whether FP and/or OOP)

Protocols have nothing in particular to do with FP either.

--
Dave