[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0017: Change Unmanaged to use UnsafePointer

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Fri Apr 29 05:43:54 CDT 2016

> On 28 Apr 2016, at 19:10, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

Positive, while working with pointers should be avoided, when you have no choice it’s better for them to be as easy as possible to minimise errors, even if we can’t eliminate them completely (since that’s the risk with pointers).

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. While the conversion is trivial, it’s annoying, and essentially involves redundant types, so it’s better to eliminate them entirely.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes. While Swift tries to avoid pointers, when they are needed they should be as simple and uncluttered as possible.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick skim, but it’s pretty self-explanatory.