[swift-evolution] [Proposal] More Powerful Constraints for Associated Types

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Fri Apr 29 03:50:31 CDT 2016

Hi Dimitri,

Excuse me if I’m being dumb. I saw those example but I don’t understand their use.

If I define a custom Collection, I still have the be explicit in the types I use where associated types are expected. Because I need to be explicit, I don’t understand how default associated types are used.

Default parameters seem clear to me:

func foobar(a: Int = 0) {}
foo() // implicit uses default value
foo(a: 1) // Explicit bypasses default value

But default associated types are not:

protocol Foobar {
    associatedtype Foo = Int
    func foobar(a: Foo)
}

class FoobarImpl : FooBar {
    func foobar(a: Foo) {} // error: Use of undeclared type ‘Foo’ - there is no such thing as an implicit use
    func foobar(a: Double) {} // This works but is explicit
}

I just don’t see the implicit use of the default associated type.

David.