[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0032: Add find method to SequenceType

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Fri Apr 29 00:31:42 CDT 2016

* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1 for the functionality on CollectionType
-1 for the functionality on SequenceType

* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
It’s certainly a helpful addition and one I’ve got an analogous version of in my own projects. Considering this is a simply addition on CollectionType, I think there no reasons not to.

I’m concerned about this being added to SequenceType. The risks associated with iterating through a sequence where it may be destructive seem to great to me, especially when this can be limited to CollectionType instead.

* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
In general I find the proposal concept to be inline with Swift, for simplicity and ease of use. SequenceType usage however seems risky, due to the destructive iterator problem, and this seems against Swift’s safe direction.

* If you have you used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I’ve used similar functionality added to NSArrays.

* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
A quick read, and was following the earlier discussion.