[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0017: Change Unmanaged to use UnsafePointer

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:43:17 CDT 2016

	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?This sounds like a great move. I recently used the CFNotificationCenter APIs, where I needed an UnsafePointer from an Unmanaged and the process was a bit surprising. Good to know first off I was even doing it the correct way, and I think this change substantially improves it.
	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?Yes, I imagine the use case of a pointer is the most wanted.
	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?Each part with Unmanaged and UnsafePointer seem well thought out and logical, and this change fits in well.
	* If you have you used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?The only language I can think of is Objective-C, and I think this matches the flow of __bridge and const void * well.
Patrick