[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Requiring proactive overrides for default protocol implementations.

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:26:35 CDT 2016

@Tod,

This was a concern when Java changed the behaviour of `@Override`, but it
didn't pan out. Everyone, even those with reservations, grew to like the
new behaviour. I think the much improved error messages from the compiler
helped, e.g.:

    protocol ViewObserver {
        func append(observer observer: Observer)
        func remove(observer observer: Observer)
        func removeAll()
    }
    struct AViewObserver: ViewObserver {
        func apend(observer observer: Observer) {
        func remove(observer observer: Observer) {
        func removeAll() {

The only error you get at present with the above is that `AViewObserver`
does not conform to `ViewObserver`, it doesn't tell you why. With the
change the compiler would highlight that `apend` doesn't override `append`
:(.

  -- Howard.