[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0066: Standardize function type argument syntax to require parentheses

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Wed Apr 27 15:18:05 CDT 2016

> Am 27.04.2016 um 14:16 schrieb Vladimir.S via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
> > But keep away from closure expressions, please! There is nothing ambiguous
> > there.
>
> Really?

Ok, you got me there :-)
I have to clarify: no ambiguity if parentheses would be prohibited around parameter lists in closure expressions like I suggested.
Furthermore the current implementation seems to do some auto-(un)splatting which should go away.

> func z1(block: (Int,Int) -> Void) {
>    block(1,2)
> }
>
> z1 { x, y in print(x,y)} //

(Int, Int) is a parameter list, so this is ok

> z1 { x in print(x.0, x.1)} // ???

This should not work IMO as the type is (Int, Int) -> Void where (Int, Int) is a parameter list and not a tuple.
Seems to be tuple unsplatting at work here.

> z1 { (x, y) in print(x, y)} //

This should not work for the given definition of z1 as (x, y) is a tuple.

> func z2(block: ((Int,Int)) -> Void) {
>    block((1,2))
> }
>
> z2 { x, y in print(x,y)} // ???

This should not work IMO (tuple splatting at work here)

> z2 { x in print(x.0, x.1)}

Fine, as x is a tuple.

> z2 { (x, y) in print(x, y)} // ???

Fine, as (x, y) is a tuple. This raises another issue, though: this is using pattern matching without having to write `let` or `case let`. That’s probably a good thing and I’d rather like to get rid of `let` for bindings in pattern matching in other places.

> //z2 { ((x, y)) in print(x, y)}  // compilation error

This should not work IMO as parentheses should not be allowed around argument lists in closure expressions.

> // this will compile, but
> runtime error
> let ft : (Int,Int) -> Void = { x in print(x)} // hm..
> ft(1, 2)

There is no runtime error in my playground.
The result printed is (1, 2)

This should not work IMO as the type is (Int, Int) -> Void where (Int, Int) is a parameter list and not a tuple.
You would have to write
let ft : (Int,Int) -> Void = { x, y in print(x, y) } // 1 2
or
let ft : ((Int,Int)) -> Void = { x in print(x) } // (1, 2)

To rehash:

Rules for function type definitions:
- parentheses are required around argument lists of more than one argument, i.e. (Int, Int) -> Void (same as in SE-0066)
- parentheses are required around argument lists with a single tuple argument, i.e. ((Int, Int)) -> Void (same as in SE-0066)
- parentheses are prohibited around single non-tuple arguments, i.e. Int -> Void (different from SE-0066)

Rule for argument lists in closure expressions:
- parentheses are prohibited around the argument list (as it is clearly enclosed by `{ … in`, therefore parentheses can only be used for tuples (different from current state)

This would result in nice unambiguous code without unnecessary parentheses.

-Thorsten